Thursday, June 2, 2011

TIM LINCECUM LOOKS LIKE MY LITTLE SISTER


I don't really have a little sister, but if I did, I am willing to bet that she would look an awful lot like Tim Lincecum. They call him the Freak, he won back to back Cy Young awards in 2008 and 2009, and it's no secret that he's one of the best strikeout pitchers in the game of baseball today. Have you ever watched him throw a pitch? He doesn't have muscle or much of anything to go off of, he simply rears back and heaves the ball across the plate, using his whole body to get the job done. With that being said though, he's a grown man, not a 10 year old girl, and he needs to cut his hair!
While I'm on the topic of the San Francisco Giants and their hair, let me say that the MLB commercials about what's living inside closer Brian Wilson's beard aren't funny or entertaining, they are downright weird. It's creepy to think about little ninjas and wood cutters running around in there. Brian - it looks like you use an entire bottle of black shoe polish on your face every morning. Maybe he should share some with Eli Whiteside, the Giants new catcher, who has a full head of gray hair at the age of 31. And then they have the "Wilson Wannabe" aka setup man Sergio Romo.
Who's who? You probably wouldn't be able to tell if not for Wilson's mullet sticking out the back of his ballcap. Don't get me wrong, I like Brian Wilson and I like Tim Lincecum. I enjoy watching them pitch, just not when they are beating my beloved St Louis Cardinals. There was a story last year about the bright orange spikes that Brian wore during games, and Major League Baseball was fining him for every day he wore them because they didn't match his uniform colors. What did he do? Took a black Sharpie and colored the sides of them, and continued to wear the shoes during games. Come on, the guy has a mo-hawk. He's got spunk all right, and almost too much personality.
After watching spring training, it seems to me that more big leaguers could use some of that personality. They make millions and play ball all day, the least they could do is crack a smile. In the words of Billy Heywood from the movie Little Big League, "You guys are on baseball cards, what could be cooler?" More on baseball cards next week, I'm sure you just can't wait to hear me talk about them. Be glad tonight is the last game in the series so I can stop talking about the Giants soon. They are the defending World Series Champions, so maybe I'm just still bitter...

No comments:

Post a Comment