Monday, June 13, 2011

THE ONLY TIME I WILL EVER SAY THIS: ROOT FOR THE CUBS (FOR 2 DAYS ONLY!!!)


No need to rub your eyes or adjust your computer screens. Your eyes are not deceiving you. I just asked you to root for the Cubs. There is no need to go out and buy a Zambrano jersey or a blue hat; please have more class than that! I am simply asking that you cheer on the South siders for the next 2 days ONLY, while they finish their series with Milwaukee.
Thanks to the Cubs 1-0 win last night, St. Louis is now tied with the Brewers for 1'st place. We didn't even have to step on the field. Please root loudly for your beloved St Louis Cardinals, but keep an eye on the score in Chicago. I know it's a "Cardinal" sin (pun intended) to root for the Cubs. I would never ask fellow St Louisans to do such a thing unless it was really important...


The Cubs are 11 games out of first place right now. In my opinion, they are not a threat to us. If I end up regretting that statement and the Cubbies win the division, I will eat a bar of soap. They are however playing the Brewers: the team that literally gave us a spanking over the weekend and knocked us out of first. Meanwhile, the Birds are in the nation's capital, preparing to do battle with the Washington Nationals. Tony La Russa has no control over what happens at Wrigley. Unfortunately neither do we...The Cubs can really help us out tomorrow and Wednesday.
Most fans would say that we don't need the Cubs help, or we just don't want it. After the pounding that I witnessed this weekend, I would have to disagree. I hate to say it, but we could use all the help we can get.
I know it's only June 14. There is still a lot of baseball left to be played. It seems to me that St. Louis WAS getting by just fine. We lost 3 of 4 to the Giants, but then we swept the Cubs and took 2 of 3 in Houston. We went to Miller Park with high expectations, but Braun, Fielder & company showed us what they are capable of...


If you can't bring yourself to do it, that's okay. I completely understand. It's going against every fiber of your being as a member of Cardinal nation. Mark my words: this is (hopefully) the only time I will ever cheer on Chicago. Who knows, we might need their help down the stretch if they match up with the Brewers again, or when they take on Votto and the Reds. I'm hoping that it won't come to that, and we will be so far out in front by then that nothing else will matter. A girl can dream, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment